The Real Deal

Have You Ever Wondered... Is that certain book really good? Does that product really work? So have I. From Indie authors and musicians to local products or nationally advertised, I can't tell you the countless products I've bought as seen on TV only to find out that they don't work at my house, the book was really a bunch of hype, the music was not what I had hoped for or a movie was a yawn. If you want an honest opinion, you will find it here. Although I do lots of book reviews, I also check out lots of other products and let you know if they really live up to their ads or their hype. Stay tuned, and check in often. You never know what I'm going to talk about next.

28.5.13

Backyard Bug Control: Does Cutter Cut It?

Cutter's backyard bug control lantern came with 4 AA Ray-o-vac batteries, and snaps together easily enough. The frosted plastic panes allow the L.E.D. lights to cast a cool glow, while a small fan quietly runs inside, above the insect repellent cartridge. The cartridge is a sort of small plastic tub containing a cotton core saturated with repellent, and a fragrance that is not unpleasant. The cartridge snaps into place in the bottom,and it is possible for the core to fall out.

At first, I had a lot of trouble getting the tub to lock in place so it kept dropping out of the lantern. Installing it is a bit tricky because you can't turn it upside down to see where it's going, and when you tip it to watch what you're doing, the core slides out. Because the tub is made with super thin plastic, it is easily squished out of shape. You don't want to get the repellent (which is oily) on your hands as it seems to dry them out immediately and just can't be good for you. We used it at our picnic spot--at dusk by the water--and didn't have any issues at all with any bugs flying around us while we leisurely ate our meal and had conversation. The light in the lanterns lets you know the fan is running. My unit seemed to have trouble staying on.

 The on/off switch for the lantern is a bit bulky and awkward, but the effectiveness of the bug repellent was excellent. The lantern is nice looking and has to be set upon a flat surface. It might be nice if the lid covering the batteries fit a little tighter. I personally think the addition of a loop that also allowed it to be hung would be a good idea. This is something I'd consider taking camping if the tub holding the repellent was in anyway resealable. It's like having an open can of Sterno which makes me uncomfortable but may not be an issue with other buyers.

I've only used it a few times, but the box says it can last up to 3 months. I may revise my review if I find out how long it lasted us and what the usage was. I thought it worked very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment